Water damage can be a result of varied causes – from washing machine disasters, to flood, unexpected pipe leak, and clogged toilet. Once you detect or spot water damage, the next step is to call a restoration company, such as valleydrc.com. Restoration companies will send in their experts almost immediately to check and inspect the situation, and based on the actual work involved, they will offer an estimate. However, before the experts start with water damage restoration, here are a few dos and don’ts that must be followed.
- Try and ensure that the water doesn’t move from one room to another. It is okay to remove standing water, for which you can use a soaking towel or a mop.
- Try and keep the furniture clean. Remove cushions, pillows and other upholstery from the rooms affected by water damage. Get rid of all the rugs and carpets. If you can, place all wet things out of the house.
- Open all the wardrobe doors and furniture drawers if possible.
- Vacate the house if you feel that electrical components and appliances have been compromised.
- Do not use any electrical appliance, until deemed to be safe by water restoration experts
- Don’t use rooms that may have structural damage.
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner to remove water.
- Do not try to clean mold spores
When to call a water damage restoration company?
Ideally, you should call a restoration company immediately after spotting signs of water damage. The work involved depends on the extent of damage, but the experts can offer a better idea of how quickly you can use the damage space and the time required for restoration. As we have mentioned earlier, getting an estimate is important.
Finding the right restoration service
Always select a company that’s responsive and doesn’t take hours to send in their experts. A water damage restoration service must be licensed, insured, and must have an in-house team of workers and damage control professionals. It is also necessary to check if the company can handle situations involving extensive damage and can also handle mold remediation, if required. Don’t shy away from asking questions related to their clientele and make sure that the team is accessible on priority, if required later. You can also get references for your area and call up a few clients to know their experience.
Do not wait to seek help for water damage, because even an hour of delay can mean more losses.