Is a DIY Asbestos Removal Project Safe?

Once asbestos is found in your home, your property no longer becomes a safe haven for you and your family. Although you can removal asbestos by yourself, it is a dangerous substance that should be handled with extreme care and attention. If you don’t have the right experience, you should hire a professional to remove the substance.


Asbestos removal can be risky, especially if you have never successfully done it before. It is a highly toxic substance that can easily be disturbed. If you don’t remove it in the correct manner you can cause the asbestos to release fibres into the air. These fibres circulate until they get lodged in your lungs, causing a range of severe problems:

  • Asbestosis
  • Lung cancer
  • Mesothelioma

Some of these diseases stay hidden for many years as the symptoms don’t show immediately. Using a professional is a much safer option than a DIY removal.

Proper Training

If you don’t have experience working with asbestos, it makes sense to avoid a removal project. The simple reason why people use asbestos removal specialists is because they are well-trained and know how to get rid of the substance without causing any problems. They know how to contain the material, so it doesn’t dissolve in the air. If you don’t have the right equipment and removal techniques, it is best to leave the task to a professional.

Correct Disposal

It is one thing handling asbestos and quite another getting rid of it. A professional team knows how to secure an area and safely remove the substance. Even if it is disturbed, they have the space contained, so it won’t go any further than that room. When the room is properly sealed off, the asbestos cannot escape and travel to other areas of your home or business. Once the get everything, they use the right equipment to remove it and bring the asbestos to waste facility.


Asbestos removal calls for access to the right equipment. If you don’t have the right tools, you’ll need to rent expensive equipment for the project and pay for disposal of the substance.

Although asbestos can be removed by an amateur, it is a toxic substance that should be handled by a professional. If you don’t have the right equipment, knowledge, and training, you can put yourself and other members of your family at risk. Professionals offer a safe, speedy removal service at an affordable price.